DeDoDoDo
Local

Federal Lawsuit Alleging Children Existed On TikTok Resolved After Investigation Determines Children Had Been On TikTok, Settlement Described As 'A Number With Several Zeros'

By dedododo Staff8/22/20263 min read
Share:𝕏fin
Federal Lawsuit Alleging Children Existed On TikTok Resolved After Investigation Determines Children Had Been On TikTok, Settlement Described As 'A Number With Several Zeros'

CHANNEL 4 EYEWITNESS NEWS — PUBLIC SAFETY DESK

Authorities are asking area residents to remain seated and breathe at a normal rate following confirmation that TikTok, the short-video application used extensively by children, has agreed to pay $400 million to the U.S. Department of Justice to resolve a federal lawsuit alleging the company violated children's privacy laws.

The settlement, which officials describe as 'finalized,' brings an end to a 2024 legal proceeding in which the Department of Justice alleged that children had been using TikTok and that TikTok had been aware of this. Sources close to the investigation confirm that the children were between the ages of children and also children throughout the duration of the alleged violations.

'We want to be very clear,' said a spokesperson for the Regional Digital Wellness Awareness Subcommittee, reached by phone Tuesday. 'The $400 million figure is a dollar amount. It is expressed in U.S. dollars. Residents who are unfamiliar with dollars are encouraged to consult a bank, or a wallet, or someone who has seen money before.'

Local officials are urging the public not to panic, though they acknowledge that panicking remains an option that is technically available to anyone who chooses to exercise it.

Channel 4 spoke with a resident outside the Tri-County DMV on Maple Extension Road who described the news as 'a lot to take in,' adding that she had not personally violated children's privacy laws but wanted to go on record as saying so.

The Department of Justice has not specified what it intends to do with the $400 million, though authorities note that the government has historically had a place to put money and that this is expected to continue.

TikTok, in a written statement, said it was pleased to resolve the matter. Officials say the company may continue operating, though they caution that the app will remain on phones unless actively deleted, and that deleting it requires pressing and holding the icon for a duration that some residents have described as 'longer than expected.'

Parents of children are advised to check whether they have children. If they do, officials say they should be aware that this settlement has occurred and that it is now behind them, chronologically speaking.

Channel 4 will continue to monitor this situation and provide updates in the event that the $400 million changes in any meaningful way. Residents with questions are encouraged to write them down, set them aside, and revisit them when they feel ready.

This has been a Public Safety Alert. You are safe. The alert is ongoing.

← Back to Home